Horace Mann Quote

~Horace Mann Quote
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blog Assignment


During my research of various educators using blogs in the classroom, I found that there are a plethora of creative ways a blog can be used.  Some of my favorite uses included: 1.) Journaling, 2.) A support measure for students who are absent, 3.) Promoting longer indept discussion on various topics where it would not be possible verbally in a classroom because of time constraints and pressure on some students who may be timid or hesitant to share their ideas, 4.) Promote research, and 5.) Communicate with students, parents, other teachers and/or administrators.
One way I might use a blog with my students is for journaling  because I fell in love with the idea.  Some of my students HATE to write.  They whine and complain that they can't think of anything, and that they don't know how to put the ideas together and make them come out right.  They use their famous line: "It's too hard."  However, they LOVE to use the computer.  I really feel as though I can convince then to write using this medium.   I'm fully aware that just sending a student with very little writing skills to a blog doesn't automatically make them a good writer; however, I feel that this method would be a motivator for them to want to learn to write and enjoy doing it.
I would know if my way of blogging with the class is effective with my students by the results I receive which serves as feedback.   If I see that the students are really excited about blogging and that they are actually participating in a beneficial manner and accomplishing something meaningful, then I know that this is effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment