Horace Mann Quote

~Horace Mann Quote
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

#EdBlogaDay Challenge/How We Know When Our Profession is Respected

I signed up for this challenge I saw on Twitter #edblogaday with to blog daily, usually with specific topic with some flexibility. I took the challenge, then failed miserably at getting started. I'm not sure if I can "catch up", but I can certainly "catch-on."  Today is Day 6 and the topic is "How We Know When Our Profession is Respected."

Times have changed tremendously since I was growing up. During my school years, if you were in trouble at school, you were definitely in trouble when you arrived home. In today's societies, if some students get in trouble in school, the teacher better believe she's/he's in trouble when that student gets home!!! However, that's not all students, not even most students. There are still those parents who raise their children to be respectful to teachers (or any adult). These parents go above and beyond to partnership with teachers and show how much they appreciate them for not only educating their children, but for protecting them, loving them, nourishing them, and in some instances - providing for them. There are community members that go out of their way during Teacher Appreciation Week and beyond to show their support for educators. There are numerous businesses that offer discounts to teachers.  I love it when I go into an establishment and see something that I want (especially for my classroom)  at a reasonable price, and I ask if they offer a teachers' discount, and their answer is, "Certainly!" It's also nice when I'm out having a conversation with someone that has nothing at all to do with education and I get asked, "Are you a teacher?" Do I smell like a teacher? Lol. So, in a nutshell I would say, "You know your profession is being respected when you get the kind of feedback that speaks to the appreciation of what you symbolize and represent."

No comments:

Post a Comment