Horace Mann Quote

~Horace Mann Quote
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Reflection

It's the end of the school year. I have a senior graduating from high school (I've had one every year for the past 3 years). This means extra cleaning at home to prepare for out-of-town guests. I'm trying to finalize grades in my classroom and get the room all packed up. Everything has to be off the floor because it all gets moved out in order to have the floors cleaned and buffed. We're changing from teaching SPI's to TNReady. We're switching to pods. Our school houses 4th and 5th grades, and for the first time students will have four teachers instead of two. I'm excited because that means I can focus on one subject and do it well rather than having to plan for and teach multiple subjects. But who will teach what? And who will they teach it with? So many changes simultaneously can be a bit overwhelming; however, I embrace change. I think change is good.

As I reflect back over the year, its been a good year. I don't base my year on my scores (although I pray that they will be good scores). I base my year on how much I've learned and grown, and how much my students have learned and grown. I reflect on the life lessons and the aha moments. I look back at the days that turned into months and ask myself, "Were they meaningful?" The answer is yes. There was not a day that went by where we did not learn something meaningful. Some days we learned more than others. We grew together, learned together, laughed together, and there were also some tears. We shared those together as well.

Now it's almost time to close that chapter in my book. This class will move on; new classes will come (four next year instead of two). My last child will prepare to leave for college, which means my husband and I will become empty nesters. Next year life will be very different. Until then, I will embrace what I have left of this year, both with my students and with my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment